Historical Books

history Turn the pages of the past.

Visit Black Raven Adventures's Website
Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page

Tomb on Fish Island

Fish Island

In the spring of 1870, a party of winter visitors decided to take a day's outing and they hired a little sailboat to take them to an island south of St. Augustine in the Matanzas River, which they called Fishers Island.

It was, of course, Fish Island, named after the man who had lived there nearly a century before, the famous Jesse Fish, whose real estate transactions after the Spanish left in 1763, had embroiled half the property in St. Augustine in litigation. He had established a beautiful plantation, El Vergel, on the island south of town.

But when the party of visitors arrived at their destination, there wasn't even a dock for them to land, so the men in the party had to disembark and carry the ladies to high ground over the mud flats. Once ashore, they followed a grass grown path to the house, Jesse Fish's manor, now sadly run down. A member of the party described it thus: "It was the only habitation on the island and a more forlorn and forsaken-looking place I never saw."

It had once been a fine residence, built of stone, with a handsome terrace and a balcony supported on stone arches, but by 1870 there was not a pane of glass or a window shutter left in the whole building. The black, gaping windows stared at the little party as they

approached and gave them the impression that they were looking into the eye-sockets of a skull. As they drew closer, they discovered that the tumble down old house was not unoccupied. Some little children were gathered at one of the windows, and they stared at the visitors as though they had never seen strangers on their island before. A dog barked savagely, but the members of the little group strode on, not to be deterred from seeing the famous orange grove they had been told about.

They found a few stately lines of old trees, their boughs still laden with fruit, but everything was wild, weedy, and falling to ruin. On the way back to their sailboat, they found a woman at work at the Fish manor. She was busily doing her week's wash with her six children clustered around her and she was delighted to have someone to talk to.

She told the northerners that she had taken over the house by squatters' right for the simple reason that she had nowhere else to go. Her rent-free home was better than nothing, even though they froze in winter and had to board up the windows to keep out the chilly winds. But she was worried about her children. They were growing up illiterate, since there was no way to get them to school in St. Augustine, and she was terrified that illness might strike suddenly. Her only chance then was to put the sick child in a leaky dugout canoe and paddle to St. Augustine for medical help.

The woman had a terrible story to tell about the fortunes of the family which had preceded her in the lonely, ruined house.

They had had six children also, ranging in age from a baby in arms to a little girl nine years old. One Friday a terrible electrical storm swept over Fish Island. A bolt of lightning struck, killing both the father and mother, and sparing the six children, but leaving them alone and unprotected in the wilderness. The nine year old girl coped the best she could. She fed her brothers and sisters with figs picked from the trees near the house, mashing up the inside of the fruit for the baby.

Every day she went down to the shore of the Matanzas River to watch for a passing boat, but it was not until the following Monday morning that she spied a craft going by and screamed for help.

The boatmen buried the dead parents and took the little orphans to St.Augustine to be cared for.


 
Previous Page Previous Page

[Return to Top of Page.]

Next Page Next Page
 

Vacation || History || Community || St. Augustine Map || Contact Us     RSS RSS  || StumbleUpon Toolbar  || Delicious social bookmarking service.  || Find Us on Facebook  || Watch Our YouTube Channel

Weather | Vacation Guide | Request Information | Calendar of Events

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 by VisitStAugustine.com || Privacy Policy || Site Map · Please send feedback to the Webmaster.

Website by St. Augustine Web Design