For centuries, Government House served as the center of political life in St. Augustine. From 1590 until 1811, the Spanish Royal Governors of La Florida lived at this site -- their official residences were destroyed by the British on two occasions. The current Government House was renovated in the 1960s, but includes some structural walls dating to 1710. After Florida became an American territory in 1821, Government House was the local court house and served as the Post Office until 1965. Today, Government House contains a museum and the offices of the city's Department of Heritage Tourism.