Hand Colored Photo of The Castillo de San Marcos
This is a hand colored photograph of the fort in Saint Augustine called the Castillo de San Marcos. This fort the oldest standing structure in St. Augustine today, completed in 1695. This fortification was used by Spain, England, and the United States from 1672, when construction first began, until Florida was granted statehood in 1845. By 1900, this fort decommissioned by the United States Government after 205 years of service under five different national flags. Today, daily tours and cannon firing demonstrations are given by the National Park Service.