St. Augustine Lighthouse
The St. Augustine Lighthouse stands 165 feet tall over Anastasia Island, watching over the inlet of St. Augustine. Built of Alabama brick and Philadelphia iron the St. Augustine lighthouse is oldest surviving brick structure in the nation. In 1876 a keeper's house was added providing Light keepers' and their assistants with a residence until it was discontinued from service in 1955. The Junior Service League of St. Augustine took over the project of restoring the lighthouse in 1980, opening a museum in 1988 and reopening to tower to visitors in 1993. The lighthouse remains open to visitors on a daily basis.