Originally built in the middle of an orange grove, the Markland House has all the charm of the Old South and plenty of space for hosting memorable special events. The venue is available on a seasonal basis only.
Located at 102 King Street, just west of the Flagler College main buildings, the Markland House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1978. It offers four beautifully decorated rooms available for hosting any kind of occasion.
Also known as the Andrew Anderson House, the Markland House is a historic mansion built in the Greek Revival style. New York doctor, Andrew Anderson Sr., began building the original part of the structure in 1839, but he died in a yellow fever epidemic less than a month after construction had begun. His son, Dr. Andrew Anderson Jr., continued work on the house, engaging New York architect, Charles A. Gifford, some time in 1895. Gifford is known for designing a number of buildings in Chicago, including the New Jersey Building at what is now known as the Chicago World's Fair.
The square footage of the home was doubled with the new construction, a two-story brick structure was added to the west wing, and a number of interior renovations for the plantation-style home were undertaken. The mansion ultimately grew to contain 14 bedroom. It was one of Henry Flagler's favorite places to stay while construction of the Hotel Ponce de Leon was underway.
After Dr. Anderson Jr. died in 1924, the house was purchased by Herbert E. Wolfe, the mayor of St. Augustine. He and his family lived there for 30 years.
Flagler College acquired the property in 1966. It's now available for weddings and special events.