St. Augustine Distillery creates award-winning whiskey, rum, gin, and vodka and offers tours and tastings in St. Augustine's former ice plant building. In 2023, USA Today readers declared St. Augustine Distillery as the best craft distillery tour in the country. They offer three tour options and two additional programs:
- A free self-guided tour takes guests through several exhibits, including artifacts that reveal the fascinating history of Old Florida and the many ways in which the art of distilling spirits has changed — and not changed — over the years.
- A one-hour, in-depth guided tour provides information about the history of bourbon while explaining the history of St. Augustine Distillery. Certified Bourbon Stewards describe the production process and offer samples of St. Augustine Distillery's premium bourbons. Each guest receives a tasting glass to take home. Tickets for this tour are $35.00 and must be purchased 24 hours in advance. Go here to learn more and to purchase tickets.
- The Perfect Pair Tasting Experiences are scheduled events that allow guests to explore pairing the distillery's premier spirits with unexpected foods. For example, they've paired Florida Straight Bourbon and Port Finished Bourbon with bourbon truffles and paired New World Gin with lemon pound cake and cucumbers. Go here for a tour schedule and to register to attend. Only those 21 and over may attend.
- The Fill-Your-Own Bottling Experience lets guests learn the entire bottling process by filling their Florida Bourbon bottle straight from the barrel. Once the bottle is full, guests will cork and seal it, design a label, and add that label to their bottle. Go here to learn more and reserve a spot at the Bottling Experience.
- True bourbon enthusiasts can take a five-hour course to become Certified Bourbon Stewards. This class is led by St. Augustine Distillery's Executive Bourbon Steward and will include a final certification exam. Reservations must be made in advance. These classes are scheduled for specific days throughout the year. Go here to learn more and to book the steward class.
The tours emphasize St. Augustine Distillery's specialty in farm-to-bottle spirits and the historical significance of the ice plant building, which was constructed in stages between 1905 and 1927. This historic building houses St. Augustine Distillery's working stills and exhibits, and the Ice Plant Restaurant and Bar.
The St. Augustine Distillery's spirits have won numerous awards, including the "Company of the Year" in the 2022 Barleycorn Awards, and gold medals in the 2016 Los Angeles International Spirits Competition, 2016 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, 2016 "Best Gin of the South" in Southern Living Food Awards, and the 2015 American Craft Spirits Association Competition.
In September 2016, USA Today named the St. Augustine Distillery the "Best Craft Gin Distillery" in the U.S.
In addition to learning about the St. Augustine Distillery spirits and the ice manufactured there in the past, visitors also learn about the importance of ice in crafting perfect cocktails.
The historic ice plant building renovation won the 2015 Regional Award for "Excellence in Culture, Historic Preservation or Adaptive Use" by the Northeast Florida Regional Council, as well as the 2014 Award for "Excellence for the Reuse and Repurpose Sector" by the Urban Land Institute of North Florida.
The St. Augustine Distillery retail shop is open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday.