The St. Augustine Art Association, established in 1924, continues a history of local art that dates back to the 1500s when Jacques LeMoyne used his artistic talents to document the new world for the French king. Much later, artists who wintered in Florida were encouraged to form the Pen and Brush Club, founded by Nina Hawkins, Editor of the St. Augustine Record. Later the organization became known as the Galleon Club and eventually, they were allowed to use the Waterworks Building as a gallery.
This group of local artists and business owners successfully promoted the city as a destination for artists in the 1930s, and moved to their present location in 1954. Now, hosting a variety of exhibits and programs throughout the year — including juried exhibits of local art, a plein air painting event, and summer art camps — the Association is foundational to local, national, and international artists.
Located at 22 Marine Street, it is both a gallery and a museum, and continues to promote the arts and draw artists to the region. This 5,000-square-foot gallery is open to the public and serves as the community's premier art center, providing a gathering place for art workshops, lectures, children's programs, art camps, concerts, art walks, and special events.
Their permanent collection includes works by the "Lost Colony," founders of the Galleon Club, as well as art featuring people and places in St. Augustine. Many of the works in their permanent collection are periodically featured to complement juried exhibits. To download the complete schedule of monthly exhibits, click here.
Each year in November, the organization presents the St. Augustine Art Association Art and Craft Festival, attracting artists and visitors from around the country. Every month throughout the year, STAAA participates in the city's First Friday Art Walk.
Admission to the St. Augustine Art Association is free.