Built during the First Spanish Period, the Father O'Reilly House Museum is one of the oldest structures in St. Augustine and is situated in the oldest continuously settled neighborhood. Constructed in 1691, and made of tabby and coquina, the building was purchased by Father Miguel O'Reilly in 1785. Father Miguel, an Irish priest in the service of the Spanish crown, made this house a place of spirituality and education, preserving the old values.
The Father O'Reilly House was left to the Sisters of St. Joseph, who continue to preserve the museum today. Located on historic Aviles Street, this museum was opened to the public in 2003. The Father O'Reilly House Museum focuses on three main areas: the history of the house, the Catholic tradition it represents, which has been kept alive since 1565, and the story of the Sisters of St. Joseph, who have maintained the historical house since 1866.
This museum is rich in history and can show guests exactly how Saint Augustine looked in the days of Father Miguel O'Reilly. There is a beautiful garden and six rooms in the house, all of which are open to the public. This impeccably preserved museum displays all the beauty and wonder St. Augustine held to its first visitors, with artifacts on display from the city's long history. These range from musical instruments the Sisters used to teach with old lesson plans, to papers documenting the history of its Catholic tradition.
There is no admission fee for the museum. Donations are gratefully accepted.