The Plaza de la Constitución sits at the center of the historic city. It is bordered by the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine, Trinity Episcopal, and the Government House, the plaza faces the Bridge of Lions and features a central pavilion used for city events, private events, and live entertainment. There is also a public market that has been in use since the 1500s, when fish, vegetables, and other goods were traded here. Today, local vendors set up tables to sell their wares.
The plaza has been a central part of St. Augustine since 1573 when it was first laid out by the Spanish Royal Ordinances. The ordinances required the plaza to be laid in a rectangular shape according to the compass points, with the length equal to 1 1/2 times the width to promote harmony. The plaza earned its proper name from the obelisk that was erected to celebrate the Spanish Constitution of 1812. Other monuments located in the park include a tribute to American Revolution prisoners, one to honor soldiers killed in WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, and a newer installation to commemorate the civil rights movement in St. Augustine — known as the Foot Soldiers Monument.
A pre-1700s well has been designated as an American Water Landmark, and the town plan and plaza were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
Visitors can enjoy local events at the plaza such as the summer Concerts in the Plaza series and the Nights of Lights during the holidays. The plaza is surrounded by large cannons which make for a fun vacation photo op.
Private use of the site is strictly limited to the gazebo in the center of the plaza which includes a small thrust stage, electrical service and interior lighting. The gazebo has a two-hour limit for use in a 24-hour period. No signs or banners may be hung on this structure or placed on the ground. Those who wish to host events on the gazebo stage such as concerts, presentations, ceremonies, and weddings can do so by contacting the city via email.